Bug list current GPA

Markus Gerwinski markus@gerwinski.de
Thu Nov 28 20:38:03 2002

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

Miguel Coca wrote:
> Just pass the --enable-external-hkp flag to gpg's configure and recompile.

That _did_ change something, yes... Now I get a segfault when trying to import
a key from "blackhole.pca.dfn.de". :-}

> The LDAP plugin is a program called gpgkeys_ldap. By default it's installed
> in /usr/local/libexec/gnupg/, and it's compiled if you have the openldap
> developtment files installed when you compile GnuPG.

I downloaded openldap for this sake, but when trying to install it, it
complains about not finding a suitable LDBM backend. What's that and where to
get it?

> Validity is what used to be called "Key trust". We only consider valid keys
> that are either ultimately of fully trusted. Since a signature by a
> non-valid key is not really trusted, we complain about it. Maybe there is a
> clearer (short) name for a good signature from an untrusted key?

Hmm... what about "confirmed/unconfirmed"? -- in the long run, maybe a fly-over
help should be added, telling in more detail what that issue's about?

Werner said:
> This should be addressed in gpg.conf.

Werner: Is there already a respective item in gpg.conf? Or would we have to
add one? Do you know the way mutt is currently addressing gpg? Is it using
the gpg.conf in any way, or does it add the sender's public key "by hand"
every time it encrypts a mail?

> > I see... apparently, there have been some changes. In GPA 0.5.0, the
> > "export secret key" function did the same thing as the "backup" function
> > does now. Okay.
> Not really. The old backup functions created two files, one with the secret
> key and one with the public one. The new one creates just one file, with
> both keys. That way you can just import that file and you have everything
> you need to use the key.

That's what I meant: In 0.5.0, the export secret key created one file with both
keys, whereas the backup function created two separate files. Now, the latter
one has been removed, and the first one has been renamed to "backup".  So the
essential function -- the one people use in everyday GPAling -- is still part
of the program. I was just a bit confused by the name-changing.

> > To be honest, at that time I only added them because otherwise the list
> > would have looked too empty. ;-)  Anyway, I think a column "Signed" would
> > make sense, just to see at a glance whether this file is signed or not.
> Well, if we ever recover the status column, you'll have that information
> there.

Okay, seems like a proper solution.

Best,

  Markus