GPA's file selection dialog

Miguel Coca mcoca@gnu.org
Fri Jan 3 17:52:01 2003

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

Hi everybody,

A few days ago I got a bug report about GPA's file selection dialog
(it doesn't properly sort directories), which reminded me of something
I've been thinking about for some time.

For those who are not aware of it, GPA does not use GTK+'s file
selection dialog, but it's own, adapted from GTK's by Peter Gerwinski
as part of his work on GPA 0.5.0. This dialog is intended to look more
"windows-like" (although, it must be said that it looks more like
Windows 3.1 than like any modern MS Windows).

However, I have mixed feelings about it. I feel that displaying such a
dialog is really GTK+'s work, and not the application's. And it's not
like it's a trivial piece of code. Of GPA's 20000 lines of code, that
dialog accounts for 4000.

I confess I'm a bit scared to go into that file and fix it :-)

Anyway, I also feel it's strange that the GNU Privacy Assistant would
go out of it's way to look more consistent to Windows users. That
implies looking less familiar to GNU/Linux users, particularly Gnome
users who are used to the GTK+ dialog.

So, I think we should drop our own GpaFileSelection and go back to
using GtkFileSelection. However, that's just my opinion, and I'd like
to hear what other people think about this.

So, what do you all think? :-)

Cheers,
--=20
Miguel Coca (mcoca@gnu.org)                http://zipi.fi.upm.es/~e970095/