GPA's file selection dialog

Bernhard Reiter bernhard@intevation.de
Sat Jan 4 00:26:02 2003

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 05:53:13PM +0100, Miguel Coca wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>=20
> A few days ago I got a bug report about GPA's file selection dialog
> (it doesn't properly sort directories), which reminded me of something
> I've been thinking about for some time.
>=20
> For those who are not aware of it, GPA does not use GTK+'s file
> selection dialog, but it's own, adapted from GTK's by Peter Gerwinski
> as part of his work on GPA 0.5.0. This dialog is intended to look more
> "windows-like" (although, it must be said that it looks more like
> Windows 3.1 than like any modern MS Windows).
>=20
> However, I have mixed feelings about it. I feel that displaying such a
> dialog is really GTK+'s work, and not the application's. And it's not
> like it's a trivial piece of code. Of GPA's 20000 lines of code, that
> dialog accounts for 4000.
>=20
> I confess I'm a bit scared to go into that file and fix it :-)
>=20
> Anyway, I also feel it's strange that the GNU Privacy Assistant would
> go out of it's way to look more consistent to Windows users. That
> implies looking less familiar to GNU/Linux users, particularly Gnome
> users who are used to the GTK+ dialog.
>=20
> So, I think we should drop our own GpaFileSelection and go back to
> using GtkFileSelection. However, that's just my opinion, and I'd like
> to hear what other people think about this.
>=20
> So, what do you all think? :-)

I think that your reasoning is fine.
It would be necessary to test of the GTK+ dialog=20
is actually working on windows so this does not turn out to be a dead end.

So I say go with Gtk-File-Selection.
If somebody wants that GpaFileSelsection back,=20
the code is still there to be grabbed.

	Bernhard

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--