GPA's file selection dialog

Michael Anckaert xantor@linux.be
Sat Jan 4 21:58:02 2003

--_1cXJc=.1t?tIPcA

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 17:53:13 +0100
Miguel Coca <mcoca@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> A few days ago I got a bug report about GPA's file selection dialog
> (it doesn't properly sort directories), which reminded me of something
> I've been thinking about for some time.
>
> For those who are not aware of it, GPA does not use GTK+'s file
> selection dialog, but it's own, adapted from GTK's by Peter Gerwinski
> as part of his work on GPA 0.5.0. This dialog is intended to look more
> "windows-like" (although, it must be said that it looks more like
> Windows 3.1 than like any modern MS Windows).
>
> However, I have mixed feelings about it. I feel that displaying such a
> dialog is really GTK+'s work, and not the application's. And it's not
> like it's a trivial piece of code. Of GPA's 20000 lines of code, that
> dialog accounts for 4000.
>
> I confess I'm a bit scared to go into that file and fix it :-)
>
> Anyway, I also feel it's strange that the GNU Privacy Assistant would
> go out of it's way to look more consistent to Windows users. That
> implies looking less familiar to GNU/Linux users, particularly Gnome
> users who are used to the GTK+ dialog.
>
> So, I think we should drop our own GpaFileSelection and go back to
> using GtkFileSelection. However, that's just my opinion, and I'd like
> to hear what other people think about this.
>
> So, what do you all think? :-)

I'd use the GTK+ dialog, for three reasons, two of which you have
already mentioned:
1) It's stable, no bugs
2) It's more familiar to gnome users
3) It's more GNU/Linux-like. It works on windows, but an opensource
program shouldn't look like ms software (that's what I think).

--

Greetings,
Michael Anckaert

Email:		xantor@linux.be