gpa 0.6.1 hangs on Linux/Powermac

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress@arcor.de
Fri Jun 20 21:30:02 2003

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc

Am 19.06.03 20:24 schrieb(en) Miguel Coca:
> GPA uses the same programs as GnuPG for retrieving keys from
> keyservers (the gpgkeys_* programs). However, in GnuPG 1.2.x, support
> for HKP keyservers is built into gpg and the ldap keyserver plugin is
> only built if the appropiate libraries are available. So there is no
> guarantee that they will be installed.
>=20
> You can install the hkp plugin manually from the GnuPG source code.
> Just type "make gpgkeys_hkp" in the keyserver directory and copy that
> to wherever gpa is looking for it (you can see the path in gpadefs.h
> in the gpa source root, it's the GPA_KEYSERVER_HELPERS_DIR define).

I see... I installed the hkp helper manually, and made a symlink from=20
GPA_KEYSERVER_HELPERS_DIR (in the /opt/gnome-2.2 tree for me) to the gnupg=
=20
stuff (which lives in /usr). Now I can at least launch the helper, but I=20
could not (yet) successfully retreive a key, although running gpg directly=
=20
works (I tried wwwkeys.pgp.net bote times). I'll have to play with it a=20
little more, I guess... Thanks!

May I make some suggestions at this point?

IMHO it would be great if there was a config option to specify the helper=
=20
dir, as I guess my method of installation (Gnome 1 in /usr, plus /opt/
gnome-2 and /opt/gnome-2.2 for gnome 2.0/2.2) is not too strage.

The import widget seems to "forget" the last entry of the key server=20
(hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net), which is not so comfortable. I could not find any=
=20
gconf stuff to fix that.

An other point: I hacked gnupg support for the mail user agent balsa (see=
=20
http://balsa.gnome.org). Currently, if it receives a mail with an unknown=
=20
key, it pops up a dialog where the user can choose if (s)he wants to run=20
gpg to retreive the key or not. This simply runs gpg --recv-keys in a=20
shell which is obviously not the best solution. In an ideal world, gpa (or=
=20
seahorse or some other app) would register as a helper app (with bonobo?),=
=20
so balsa could just ask it through bonobo to pop up and present the ui for=
=20
retreiving the key. Do you plan to implement such a functionality, or is=20
it possible to register gpa as a helper app for a pgp key mime type?

Thanks again,

	Albrecht.

--=20
  Albrecht Dre=DF  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Stra=DFe 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (German=
y)
        Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de
--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc--