gpa 0.6.1 hangs on Linux/Powermac

Miguel Coca mcoca@gnu.org
Sun Jun 22 21:07:02 2003

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:31:57 +0200, Albrecht Dre=DF wrote:
> I see... I installed the hkp helper manually, and made a symlink from=20
> GPA_KEYSERVER_HELPERS_DIR (in the /opt/gnome-2.2 tree for me) to the gnup=
g=20
> stuff (which lives in /usr). Now I can at least launch the helper, but I=
=20
> could not (yet) successfully retreive a key, although running gpg directl=
y=20
> works (I tried wwwkeys.pgp.net bote times). I'll have to play with it a=
=20
> little more, I guess... Thanks!
>=20
> May I make some suggestions at this point?

Always welcome.

> IMHO it would be great if there was a config option to specify the helper=
=20
> dir, as I guess my method of installation (Gnome 1 in /usr, plus /opt/
> gnome-2 and /opt/gnome-2.2 for gnome 2.0/2.2) is not too strage.

GPA's configure tries to look for gpgkeys_ldap (since that is the most
standard helper app) in several common directories: /usr/libexec/gnupg/,
/usr/lib/gnupg/ and somewhere in the same tree you install GPA in. But
you are right, there should be an option to configure to set it.

> The import widget seems to "forget" the last entry of the key server=20
> (hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net), which is not so comfortable.

You can set the default keyserver in Edit/Preferences (along with a
couple other options).

> I could not find any gconf stuff to fix that.

GPA is not a Gnome application, so it doesn't use gconf. User options
are saved to ~/.gnupg/gpa.conf.

> In an ideal world, gpa (or seahorse or some other app) would
> register as a helper app (with bonobo?), so balsa could just ask it
> through bonobo to pop up and present the ui for retreiving the key.
> Do you plan to implement such a functionality, or is it possible to
> register gpa as a helper app for a pgp key mime type?

As I said, GPA is not a Gnome application, so bonobo support is not
planned in the immediate future. However, command line support is
being improved for the next release. Right now it would be easy to add
command line options to launch GPA to do a particular operation on a
file (like encrypt/sign, etc). Once the keyring follows the same
internal structure the file manager has now, the same thing will be
possible for keys too.

Would those options help? I think they are a good idea, myself.

Thanks,
--=20
Miguel Coca (mcoca@gnu.org)                http://zipi.fi.upm.es/~e970095/

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL