kmail doesn t sign/encrypt e-mails, broken pipe

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 9 22:48:06 CET 2004

Hi Erik,

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:26:42PM +0100, Erik Wasser wrote:
> On Friday 05 November 2004 17:23, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Whoch version of Kmail are you trying CVS from this week?
>
> Ich don't use KMail from CVS. I'm using the version KMail 1.7 from KDE
> 3.3.0. Is this version too old? I'm not very up-to-date with this
> things.

The lastest and greatest improvements from Ägypten2 are
in later versions. However I do not see why it should not working..

First: Are you trying to use OpenPGP or S/MIME?
Secondly: Try to do all operations on the command line first
too seperate if KMail is your problem or the crypto setup itself.

> > > What is the error here? What can I test so solve this problem? Any
> > > ideas? Is this a plugin error or an kmail error?
> >
> > A) Start the log watcher from extras and enable debugging.
>
> I set the 'debug-level' to 'guru'. I hope this is the option you mean.

Guru is fine and will leave files in directory, too.
So "expert" is sufficient most of the time.

> gpg-agent[14632]: DBG: connection to PIN entry established

So you do see a pinentry?

> I don't see any error here. B-)

True.

> > B) Try to decrypt the email on the command line.
> > (More difficult, you need to save the encrypted part in the right
> > format.)
>
> Ups... Sorry! My mistake. Decryption is fine and working. Sending an
> encrypted is a problem. The logfile was created during the send process
> of kmail.

No it was also my mistake, I wasn't reading closely enough.
Try your operation on the command line, like

	# OpenPGP
	gpg -e -r buddy at home.where x >x.enc

or
	# X509