kmail doesn t sign/encrypt e-mails, broken pipe

Erik Wasser erik.wasser at iquer.net
Wed Nov 10 12:53:27 CET 2004

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 22:48, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> The lastest and greatest improvements from Ägypten2 are
> in later versions. However I do not see why it should not working..

I've just upgraded to KDE 3.3.1 and KMail 1.7.1.

> First: Are you trying to use OpenPGP or S/MIME?

OpenPGP.

> Secondly: Try to do all operations on the command line first
> too seperate if KMail is your problem or the crypto setup itself.

Okay, where we go:

> > gpg-agent[14632]: DBG: connection to PIN entry established
>
> So you do see a pinentry?

Is this the box for entering the password? Yes, it came up the first
time and cached the password correctly for further tries.

% gpg -e -r buddy at home.where x >x.enc

Crap, see for yourself:

% gpg -e -r someone at somewhere.tld hosts
Secure memory is not locked into core
gpg: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
gpg: It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
gpg: used in a production environment or with production keys!
gpg: someone at somewhere.tld: skipped: Unusable public key
gpg: /etc/hosts: encryption failed: Unusable public key

What does that 'Unusable public key' mean in this case?

Thanks for your great support!

--
So long... Fuzz