gpg-agent Problems

Ian Scott ian at pairowoodies.com
Thu Nov 11 05:53:22 CET 2004

I'm hoping someone can perhaps point me in the right direction.  I am very
sure I have followed the directions carefully found here:
http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html

I have tried this about a dozen times, both installing from source and rpm.

My OS: Fedora Core 2
GPG Version:  1.25
(Also gpg-1.9.9 configured with agent only)
libgcrypt-1.2.0
libgpg-error-1.0
libksba-0.9.9
pth-2.0.2
libassuan-0.6.6

Everthing installed fine without error messages.  All the make check's
reported no errors on any tests.

But when I start gpg-agent:

eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"

I get this:
gpg-agent[9366]: Secure memory is not locked into core

When I do  a ps -x |grep gpg
I  get:
9367 ?        S      0:00 gpg-agent --daemon

This is not the same PID that I got when I started gpg-agent.

This command:
echo "test" | gpg -ase -r 0x319CE936 |gpg

I see:
gpg: can't connect to `/tmp/gpg-wjqJw7/S.gpg-agent': Connection refused

/tmp/gpg-wjqJw7/S.gpg-agent exists.

Permissions:
srwxrwxr-x   1 ian  ian      0 Nov 10 23:42 S.gpg-agent

Permissions for /tmp/gpg-wjqJw7:
rwx------   2 ian  ian      4096 Nov 10 23:42 gpg-wjqJw7

I am truly stumped.  I had this working about 2 months ago, before a hard
drive failure.  Reinstalled Fedora Core 2 (which is what was running prior to
the drive failure), but have not been able to get gpg-agent to work nicely at
all since then.  My system has two hard drives, my home directory is on a
drive that did not fail.  Only the system files and directories needed to be
reinstalled.

I'm not sure what more information I can provide to work out this problem, but
I am truly stumped and have spent hours trying to figure this out.  If anyone
has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

- --
Ian Scott
GPG/PGP KEY: 0x319CE936

http://www.pairowoodies.com/
Providing Goal Centered Internet Solutions

http://www.about-flyfishing.com/
All About Fly Fishing