gpg-agent Problems

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Nov 11 10:08:15 CET 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:53:22 -0500, Ian Scott said:

> gpg-agent[9366]: Secure memory is not locked into core

That is just a warning to tell you that the memory areas used to store
passpharses and secret keys might get swapped to the disk.  setuid
(root) gpg-agent or use a brand new Linux kernel to solve that problem.

> When I do  a ps -x |grep gpg
> I  get:
> 9367 ?        S      0:00 gpg-agent --daemon

> This is not the same PID that I got when I started gpg-agent.

That is fine, gpg-agent does the usual fork to become a daemon.

> This command:
> echo "test" | gpg -ase -r 0x319CE936 |gpg

> I see:
> gpg: can't connect to `/tmp/gpg-wjqJw7/S.gpg-agent': Connection refused

> /tmp/gpg-wjqJw7/S.gpg-agent exists.

> Permissions:
> srwxrwxr-x   1 ian  ian      0 Nov 10 23:42 S.gpg-agent

> Permissions for /tmp/gpg-wjqJw7:
> rwx------   2 ian  ian      4096 Nov 10 23:42 gpg-wjqJw7

Does "netstat -lxp" show you a line indicating that gpg-agent with the
above PID is litening on that socket?  If not, there is something wrong
with gpg-agent.  Configure a log file in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf to
see what's going on or start gpg-agent under "strace -fo alogfile
gpg-agent --daemon".

You may also want to get the latest gpg-agent (1.9.12) and run
"gpg-agent" which tries to connect to the running gpg-agent to check
whether it is running.

If everything seems to be fine, run gpg under strace and watch out for
a connect call.

  Werner