gpg-agent Problems

Ian Scott ian at pairowoodies.com
Thu Nov 11 17:08:23 CET 2004

On November 11, 2004 04:08 am, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:53:22 -0500, Ian Scott said:
> > gpg-agent[9366]: Secure memory is not locked into core
>
> That is just a warning to tell you that the memory areas used to store
> passpharses and secret keys might get swapped to the disk.  setuid
> (root) gpg-agent or use a brand new Linux kernel to solve that problem.

First, thank you very much for trying to help.  I'm using kernel version 2.6.8

> > When I do  a ps -x |grep gpg
> > I  get:
> > 9367 ?        S      0:00 gpg-agent --daemon
> >
> > This is not the same PID that I got when I started gpg-agent.
>
> That is fine, gpg-agent does the usual fork to become a daemon.

Ok.

> > This command:
> > echo "test" | gpg -ase -r 0x319CE936 |gpg
> >
> > I see:
> > gpg: can't connect to `/tmp/gpg-wjqJw7/S.gpg-agent': Connection refused
> >
> > /tmp/gpg-wjqJw7/S.gpg-agent exists.
> >
> > Permissions:
> > srwxrwxr-x   1 ian  ian      0 Nov 10 23:42 S.gpg-agent
> >
> > Permissions for /tmp/gpg-wjqJw7:
> > rwx------   2 ian  ian      4096 Nov 10 23:42 gpg-wjqJw7
>
> Does "netstat -lxp" show you a line indicating that gpg-agent with the
> above PID is litening on that socket?  If not, there is something wrong
> with gpg-agent.

No, netstat -lxp does not show gpg-agent.

> Configure a log file in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf to
> see what's going on or start gpg-agent under "strace -fo alogfile
> gpg-agent --daemon".

I have this line in gpg-agent.conf:
log-file socket:///home/ian/.gnupg/agentlog

******
Ok, I removed 2 // before   /home.  Get an error message, which I've never
seen before:
failed to open log file `socket:/home/ian/.gnupg/agentlog': No such file or
directory

So, I remove 'socket:' so the conf  file line is  now:
log-file /home/ian/.gnupg/agentlog
and start gpg-agent as above.

Would you believe it is now working??!! Oh boy, I feel silly now!  But I am
pretty sure I did not add that line to the conf file in the first place.
Would that have been the problem in the first place?

Thank you.

- --
Ian Scott
GPG/PGP KEY: 0x319CE936

http://www.pairowoodies.com/
Providing Goal Centered Internet Solutions

http://www.about-flyfishing.com/
All About Fly Fishing