Encodings

Noel D. Torres Taņo ndtt@ll.iac.es
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:07:40 +0000

First of all, please don't send me the e-mails and CC to the mailing
list, because this way I receive your e-mails TWICE.

George Pauliuc wrote:

> I'm sorry, maybe I misunderstood you.
>
> You are making not a mess but a big mistake.  The problem is not how to
> print the chars.  You have this as you don't even have to bother - after
> all most browsers (all the recent) default to Latin1 and not ASCII.
>
> You didn't understand my message.  Please read it again.  There are
> different ENCODINGS.  That means that char 0123 means a special char in
> Latin2.  In Latin2 THE CHARS ARE SHOWN WRONG.  Because they have a WRONG
> DESCRIPTION.  That was corrected with the less used Latin10.  That means
> 0123 has the same meaning but LINKS with the RIGHT picture.  0123 isn't
> the value for my char in Unicode.  Worse: the method you use brings up a
> charater that doesn't even look like what I have in mind.
>
> You should consider other languages than those supported by Latin1
> charset.  After all those languages aren't THE ONLY ONES in the world.
> Not even a the biggest part of the languages that use Latin characters
> (latin characters and not latin encodings).
>
> Please learn more about other languages before launching with such
> proposals.  And if this isn't enough, think how you'll use your solution
> on a Chinese page.

I know about other languages. I've used that system to write sentences
e.g. in greek, arab and hebrew. MicroSoft's "Times New Roman" font has
all the necessary characters. Please tell me if you can see the romanian
t and s letters with comma (not cedilla) in my page (I changed it to add
four romanian characters, capital and small). That's a way to let all
languages be shown, independently of the selected encoding. I can see in
my Latin-1 system characters that don't exist in Latin-1 nor even in any
Latin-x.
But I must agree that it's a very hard way to create a webpage. It's
hard in spanish, so I can imagine how hard can it be in other languages
like yours.

Noel Torres