Don't break existing links!

Lorenzo Cappelletti l.cappelletti@mail.com
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:50:44 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Nahrath <gpgweb-devel@nahrath.de>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 18:18:11 +0100
To: "gpgweb-devel@gnupg.org" <gpgweb-devel@gnupg.org>
Subject: Don't break existing links!

> Just read the FAQ (yes, sometimes it happens :-)
>
> The FAQ locally installed at /usr/local/share/gnupg/faq.html contains
> several links to the www.gnupg.org website.

I tried to get in contact with FAQ author by writing to faq@gnupg.org,
but he never replied.

> If it should be realy impossible to keep the old URL intact there needs to
> be at least serverside redirections to the new resources.

When I spoke with Werner about my ideas on new site, he didn't argue
against reorganizing the whole site, thus I moved files where I wanted
to.

> And if even that is impossible there should be more descriptive sites on
> these URLs than the current 404 message.

I know of 3 methods for redirection:

1. symbolic links
2. meta tag time-out redirection
3. web server configuration

Number 1 is very easy

I'd prefer number two, because it also tells users that link has
actually changed and warns them they should update their bookmark.

Werner says that number 2 is not portable across mirrors.

Number 3 is server dependent.

What do you think is the best?

> Second:
> Is it really neccesary to have souch strange URLs containing brackets?
> Nobody uses this, there will be a lot of mistakes from not using what users
> expect (you know Nielsen about this ...).

I totally agree with you, but Werner's running Caudium <http://caudium.net/> at the moment.  He told me once he's perplexed to
keep on running that web server.

To me, I'm sure Caudium has got its own methods for doing what Apache
does, but I don't have time right now to study its documentation.

> And something general about "moving" or "reorganizing" content away from its
> original location:
> <http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html>

You're full of good links, aren't you?

Old site was a 1-level deep framework where all files resided in root
directory.  I know moving URLs around is a very bad practice, but I
stronly believe that site needed a reorganization.

PS: I cannot do anything till tonight. AArggghh!

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

One click access to the Top Search Engines
http://www.exactsearchbar.com/mailcom