Don't break existing links!

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:12:40 +0100

On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:50:44 +0100, Lorenzo Cappelletti said:

> 2. meta tag time-out redirection
> 3. web server configuration

[..]

> Werner says that number 2 is not portable across mirrors.

Did I? It should be okay.

> Number 3 is server dependent.

Reconsidering this, it seems not a bad idea than I thought.  If an URL
was given to a user, it is very unlikely that he first looks up a
mirror. Afaik, a browser can detect a premanent server based
redirection and offer to update the bookmarks.

We don't do any automatic mirroring so we actually might want to take
this solution.

>> Is it really neccesary to have souch strange URLs containing brackets?
>> Nobody uses this, there will be a lot of mistakes from not using what users
>> expect (you know Nielsen about this ...).

> I totally agree with you, but Werner's running Caudium <http://caudium.net/> at the moment.  He told me once he's perplexed to

I know that this looks strange.  Afaik, Caudium uses this for language
caching purposes when it is not configured to use cookies.  I guess
this requires some Caudium hacking.  I am running for years Boa on a
small website and had no problems except that it does not support
virtual servers.  This has now changed and I am running now some sites
with virtual boa servers (e.g. www.ofdc.de).  Boa is very minimalistic
and thus easy to configure.  We do only have staic pages and thus it
might make sense to switch to it.  There is no content-negotiation
yet.

The most likely change is that we are going to use another machine for
www.gnupg.org running Apache.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner