your mail

Pauliuc George pauliuc@gmx.net
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 17:53:39 +0200

--=.tXr01K0('?nd:w

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 09:55:51 +0200 Lorenzo Cappelletti
<lorenzo.cappelletti@email.it> wrote:
> I totally agree with you and that why I decided to stick
> to W3C raccomandations using XHTML and validating the site
> with W3C's validator.

I offer myself to do some extended testing from work (I
still haven't started my translation as I'm quite busy
lately :(). I have a few IEs (various 6.0 builds and 5.5)
and one nightly build of Phoenix (newer than 0.5 stable)
which should be considered okay for Geko (Phoenix is a
stipped down version of Mozilla).

> Then a question arises: is it webdesigners' task to make
> tricky changes in order to circumvent bugged/non-compliant
> browsers?  You say that there's a browser version that
> doesn't render the site as expected.  I know of Netscape
> 4.7x which doesn't handle well CSS because of its age...

Nope. Not only that there is a standard. But it is an agreed
standard. It's not something like 'according to IBM things
should be like that'. People all over the wold are working
for those standards. And at least in theory the browser
makers agreed to obey those standards. My pages aren't
anywhere near comparble with your efforts Lorenzo, but
that's an approach - offer a link or at least an explanation
for the other browsers. It's a lot better than the banking
sites which deny browsers other than IE.

> Well, I do believe that these are not webdesigner's
> concerns.  Standards are made to easy the work from
> different parties, like webdesigners and web browser
> programmers.

Those standards take years to approve because there should
be a unity of the shown results. It's not your business as a
webdesigner to pay attention to every implementation of the
w3.org documents. There will always be something wrong.
Hmm... I remember seeing raports for some pages (the raports
were made by a 3rd party) which even shown Netscape 2(!)
usage.  I say XHTML1.0 or HTML4.1 should be the only
standards. Maybe you should pay attention that most of the
pages obey 3.2 as well (with the well formed spirit of the
XHTML1.0 like <br /> instead of <br>). And this is where
your support for all browsers should end. Finally, all
formatting should be handeled by CSS1 (CSS2 is not well
handeled by some major browsers). This way even links and
lynx should work fine.

--=.tXr01K0('?nd:w

--=.tXr01K0('?nd:w--