PR 4 [was: Report about currently open gpgweb problem reports.]

Noel D. Torres Taņo ndtt@ll.iac.es
Fri, 23 May 2003 22:43:19 +0100

Lorenzo Cappelletti wrote:

> On Tue May 20 at 16:40 +0100, Noel D. Torres Taņo wrote:
>
> > PR 4 (lolo, open) deals with encoding for our webpages. In my opinion=
,
> > we must use 7bit ASCII for the source (wml) files, and UTF8 for the
> > public (html) ones.
>
> I think your proposal is pointless.  Why having a UTF-8 encoding when
> page content is 7bit ASCII?  I mean, entities are not encoded by WML,
> right now.  A "ñ" entity is written out in a *.html.es file as i=
> and not as "~n".

The problem arises if one translator's editor corrupts the entire file,
even when claiming to be UTF8 compliant. This can happen for a couple of
reasons, incluiding bad editor setup, bad SO setup, wrong locales in the
machine, and even a bug in the editor. I'd prefer ASCII-7 because it is
_always_ safe, and everything can be coded in it as in UTF8 using
entities (either named or numerical), incluiding those umlauts Werner
uses in the german translations (the entities are ä etc.)