webserver requirements

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 09:43:07 +0200

On Mon, 26 May 2003 23:55:41 +0200, Lorenzo Cappelletti said:

> Anyway, I want to highlight the fact that the most widely spread
> webserver out there is Apache and we should support it, seeing that
> we're going to have lots of official mirrors.

Agreed and one reason to drop Caudium.

> What do you mean with "other types"?  I remind you users can download
> tarballs from the site.

foo.txt, foo.en.txt, foo.it.txt or *.xml or even *.png if an imgae
contains a text.

>> 2. When asked for foo.ll.html the server should return foo.ll.html or
>> in case this does not exists foo.html .

> If it returned foo.en.html, it'd be much better for caching issue.

Okay.

> When is content negotiation triggered?  If it is when a user enters the
> site only, it isn't a real problem.  If it is even when a foo.xx.html
> page is requested, well, we can't do much for it, sorry.

Always if the requested files does not contain a langiage identifier;
this is because HTTP is a stateless protocol (unless we use cookies,
or the Caudium trick of virtual directories).

So, okay I'll hack on Boa in the next days and setup a testserver on
another port.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
  Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of
  mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of