Web mirror list

Noel D. Torres Tan~a ndtt at ll.iac.es
Sun Feb 8 18:42:45 CET 2004

> A very good solution is provided on the Debian site: a drop-down list on
> the top-right corner which makes the jump to a mirror a fuss of.  But is
> makes use of CGI.  We don't know if our mirror partners have (or are
> willing to) enable the CGI support.  Note that the latter may be worked
> out by always executing the CGI script on the www.gnupg.org site.

I prefer the way of using a CGI script. It can be executed in each
mirror (for mirrors with GCI support) or in the main site or nearest
mirror (for mirrors without CGI support). That is, each non-CGI-mirror
admin can select wich CGI-enabled mirror use for his CGI.

> Another solution would be to place a link in the same place as of the
> drop-down list which points to a web mirror list page, where a user can
> choose their nearest mirror.

Why not a dual solution? Use the menu list and a (small) link to a web
mirrors page similar to the ftp mirrors page, to include there the
performances of the mirrors (they can't be viewed in the menu).

Noel (Envite)