Web mirror list

Lorenzo Cappelletti lorenzo.cappelletti at email.it
Sat Jan 31 11:29:53 CET 2004

Hi everybody,

Noel noticed in a private message that a list of the web site mirrors is
not available on the site.  I was very suprised about that because I
believed that download/mirrors.html does collect the web mirrors.  This
is evidently not true, even I can create a web mirror page with the
present WML code in a snap.  It probably happend that I forgot to
generate this page or that I had something different in my mind.

Anyway, having a few thoughts about this topic, I came to the conclusion
that I need your help to make a decision.

IMO, a mirror link should be at hand or the user won't click on it and
use the mirror.

A very good solution is provided on the Debian site: a drop-down list on
the top-right corner which makes the jump to a mirror a fuss of.  But is
makes use of CGI.  We don't know if our mirror partners have (or are
willing to) enable the CGI support.  Note that the latter may be worked
out by always executing the CGI script on the www.gnupg.org site.

Another solution would be to place a link in the same place as of the
drop-down list which points to a web mirror list page, where a user can
choose their nearest mirror.

What do you think?

email: lorenzo.cappelletti at email.it
Jabber: lolo at linux.it
Fingerprint: 8CDD 3408 53B2 6122 99DA EE37 1523 68FC D906 4C08