Coexistence with OpenPGP/IETF

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Mon Dec 4 16:38:16 CET 2023

Hello,

what is the position of the developers of the LibrePGP specification
regarding co-existence with the OpenPGP/IETF specification?

As I understand it, both OpenPGP and LibrePGP share a common part of its
protocol, which we could describe as the OpenPGP legacy format (or v4).

I assume the developers of the LibrePGP specification expect that this
data format will be used with email, please correct me if I'm wrong.

As of today, the PGP/MIME specification is used to specificy how to
transport PGP data in email messages.

Do you expect that MUAs will use the same content-types as defined in
the PGP/MIME specification? (RFC 3156). Or do you suggest that new,
different content-types shall be used for LibrePGP?

If both will use the same content-types, a MUA that implements only one
specification will have to attempt to parse the data, and it will either
succeed, or it will find data packets that it doesn't support.

It would help implementations to be able to clearly identify whether a
data stream of PGP packets follows either the OpenPGP or the LibrePGP
specification.

Are the developers of the LibrePGP specification willing to coordinate
with the developers of the OpenPGP specification, to ensure the
specifications will have no clashes in the specification of the wire format?

Regards
Kai