Reading new key packages (Re: Coexistence with OpenPGP/IETF)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 2 10:54:23 CET 2024

Hello,
a happy new year!

Am Mittwoch 06 Dezember 2023 10:45:48 schrieb Andre Heinecke via
LibrePGP-discuss:
>  we see LibrePGP as basically was what agreed upon and building on the
> established RFC4880 Standard with some adaptations to modernize it where
> required. But without some of the proposed changes in the "Crypto Refresh".

A main point as I've understood is about how to introduce
a new format for public keys in a way to have a good user experience.

GnuPG and RNP implemented reading v5 key packages a few years ago,
so when they switch to create pubkeys files in that format,
implementation are already widespread. This is best for usability
as many users will not notive much.

It is interesting so see how large the user base for reading v5 pubkeys
already. Is does somebody know in which release GnuPG and RNP and thus email
applications like Outlook, KMail, Claws and Thunderbird can read
v5 pubkeys?

Best Regards,
Bernhard

--
https://intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter