Reading new key packages (Re: Coexistence with OpenPGP/IETF)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jan 2 14:24:31 CET 2024

On Tue,  2 Jan 2024 10:54, Bernhard Reiter said:
> GnuPG and RNP implemented reading v5 key packages a few years ago,
> so when they switch to create pubkeys files in that format,

Actually the key format is not the main controversial thing but the AEAD
mode which changed in crypto-refresh-post-fall-2021.

Nevertheless there are also points with the key and signature packet
formats.  In particular the removal of meta data signing is a severe
issue which does not allow us to implement that signature format.

Frankly, I would like to use the v6 signature format because it allows
for larger subpackets.  But not at the cost of losing the meta data
signing.  However, the larger sub-packets are not a really issue right
now - even not with PQC.

Please remember that v5 is not just *PGP v5 because each packet type has
its own version number and they do not necessary need to match.

Hallpy new year,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein