Brainpool removed from crypto-refresh PQC spec

Aron Wussler aron at wussler.it
Tue May 28 06:12:22 CEST 2024

Hello everyone,

Commenting as author on the decision taken here.

This was done in the best interest of a simple specification and implementation. The Brainpool and NIST curves were moved to a separate draft, alongside the ECDSA specification.

We consider curves to be a fallback for the PQ security, and I personally don't think they represent the core focus of the specification. In particular, this applies to signatures, where there is not clear consensus regarding composite and the situation may be more experimental.

This decision was proposed already at the IETF 119 meeting, considering the feedback gathered on the list.

Cheers,
Aron

--
Aron Wussler
Sent with ProtonMail, OpenPGP key 0x7E6761563EFE3930