edit key interface in GPGME

Miguel Coca e970095@zipi.fi.upm.es
Fri Aug 2 03:14:02 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 17:16:20 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> the current gpgme version CVS has a new function, gpgme_op_edit, which can
> be used to access the --edit-key interface in GnuPG 1.1.90 and later.

Sounds good!

So, a gpgme-using GPA will aim towards using the gpg 1.2 versions. Good.

Well, I would like to know what everybody else thinks would be a good
roadmap for GPA development. Currently we have in CVS the 0.5.0 release, and
a couple of relatively minor fixes.

There could be a (for example, as Werner mentioned) 0.5.1 release, including
those minor changes and whatever, and then we could go for the gpgme
migration. Or we could just go ahead, do the port and have the next release
(say, 0.6) use gpgme.

I myself would favor doing the port as soon as possible. If only because I
feel reluctant to make changes to gpapa knowing it's days are counted :-)

Any opinions?

> The file gpgme/tests/gpg/t-edit.c shows how this can be used, for example to
> set the expiration time for a key.

I'm looking at it at the moment.

> With this feature, there should be nothing in the way to make GPA use the
> official GPGME instead gpapa, although some functions in gpapa have to
> remain because they are more high level than GPGME's function.

I think this covers, for example, the feature that searches keys on the
keyserver directly. Although that should be ported to Unix somehow.

> Please let me know of any problems with this interface in the GPA port, or
> any other problem that might prevent GPA from being ported to the official
> GPGME version.

Thanks,
--
Miguel Coca                                         e970095@zipi.fi.upm.es