PSA: building chopstx on Ubuntu is very broken

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Fri Jan 11 07:58:57 CET 2019

Hello,

Mike Tsao <mike at sowbug.com> wrote:
> https://github.com/im-tomu/tomu-quickstart/issues/13
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/newlib/+bug/1767223
>
> If you try building anything using chopstx, including gnuk and neug, using
> the Ubuntu 18.04 "gcc-arm-none-eabi" compiler, or
> the libnewlib-arm-none-eabi library, the resulting binaries won't work.

Thanks for sharing information.

It's unfortunate that Ubuntu 18.04 has wrong version of newlib binary
package.

As written in Gnuk/README, I use:

========================== Excerpt from README

You need GNU toolchain and newlib for 'arm-none-eabi' target.

On Debian we can install the packages of gcc-arm-none-eabi,
gdb-arm-none-eabi and its friends.  I'm using:

	binutils-arm-none-eabi	2.31.1-2+10
	gcc-arm-none-eabi 	15:7-2018-q2-4
	gdb-arm-none-eabi 	7.12-6+9+b2
	libnewlib-arm-none-eabi	3.0.0.20180802-2

In Debian, libnewlib-arm-none-eabi is build with new version of
gcc-arm-none-eabi, thus, no problem.

I'm going to update to newer newlib in Debian testing, and we don't need
gdb-arm-none-eabi (because normal gdb supports arm-none-eabi binaries)
now.