GNU Privacy Guard

Werner Koch wk at isil.d.shuttle.de
Thu Feb 19 13:46:43 CET 1998

I think we should now choose a name.

A lot of good names have been suggested, but GPG sounds best.

To avoid any legal conflicts this name should only be used
for the binary itself and --version etc. should tell what the
real name is.

We may get troubles with all TLAs and FLAs are to long to type :-).
My /usr/bin shows 68 TLA programs - they are all free software;
I guess legal conflicts could arise for everyone of them if
this would be the case for /usr/bin/gpg.

Snippets from some mails:

Curt Clark <wcclark at rmi.net> writes:

> Imagine an attorney (who represents PGP, Inc.) presenting his case:
>
> Atty: "But your Honor, the TLA GPG contains the same letters as the
> acronym copyrighted by my client, PGP, Inc."
>
> Judge: "So what? Does one word or name in the TLA of GPG stand for
> any of the words or names used in the TLA PGP?"
>
> Atty: "Only one, your Honor."
>
> Judge: "I think you need more similarity than one equivalent word
> and the use of the same two letters in reverse order to constitute
> copyright infringement. Case dismissed."
>
> >This is similar to a product called 'CocaCola' whose official shortening
> >is 'Coke' being called 'cola'.
>
> Again, I respectfully disagree. The 'CocaCola' example demonstrates the
> high risk in using a shorten or abbreviated form of an existing,
> copyrighted product name. GPG is not a shortened or abbreviated form of
> PGP. Nor is GNU Privacy Guard a shortened or abbreviated form of Pretty
> Good Privacy.

Maybe there is better name than "GNU Privacy Guard" for GPG?

                                         finger gcrypt at ftp.guug.de for G10 key
              fingerprint = 8489 6CD0 1851 0E33 45DA  CD67 036F 11B8 FF3E AA0B