Porting GNUPG

Paul D. Smith psmith at BayNetworks.COM
Mon Sep 14 16:24:55 CEST 1998

%% pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann) writes:

  >>> If the only thing that's holding back the port of GNUPG to a
  >>> Windows box is the need for a RNG, I would be glad to start
  >>> working on one...

  >> Please see Peter Gutmann's paper about "practically strong random
  >> numbers"; this scheme should be used.

  pg> This is already implemented in cryptlib,
  pg> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/cryptlib/ , you can use that
  pg> if you like.  The only restriction is that I don't really want to
  pg> place the code under the GPL since it's currently available on
  pg> terms which are less restrictive than the GPL, and I don't want to
  pg> tie it down with a more restrictive license than it currently has.

One option, if you're interested, would be to do what Larry Wall did
with Perl and use a dual license: say people could distribute it under
_either_ your license, or the GPL, whichever they preferred.  You could
release _only_ the random number generation code under a dual license
like that, not all of cryptlib.  Then GnuPG could use that part.

Just something to consider.

BTW, Warner et. al. keep mentioning your paper on practical strong
random numbers, but I don't believe anyone's posted a reference: is it
available on the web or somewhere?  I did take a look through the
misc/rndunix.c code in cryptlib 2.1, so I think I get the idea, but it'd
be nice to see the doc.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith at baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development