Porting GNUPG

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Sep 15 09:55:12 CEST 1998

>One option, if you're interested, would be to do what Larry Wall did with
>Perl and use a dual license: say people could distribute it under _either_
>your license, or the GPL, whichever they preferred.  You could release _only_
>the random number generation code under a dual license like that, not all of
>cryptlib.  Then GnuPG could use that part.

That sounds reasonable.  OK, the cryptlib random number code can be used in
GnuPG under whatever terms are required (GPL I guess) on the understanding
that it's not exclusively under the GPL, so I can keep using it and any
updates to it as before (ie it's a dual license).  I hope that's what's
required.

>BTW, Warner et. al. keep mentioning your paper on practical strong random
>numbers, but I don't believe anyone's posted a reference: is it available on
>the web or somewhere?  I did take a look through the misc/rndunix.c code in
>cryptlib 2.1, so I think I get the idea, but it'd be nice to see the doc.

It's available via a link off my home page,
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/.  It contains a number of diagrams so
it's done as a PDF file, at some point I'll get around to updating it and
adding more info (the current version is 15 pages exactly, which was the limit
for papers at the conference).

Peter.