Solved: Problem running gnupg-0.9.0 from a daemon, a (minor) BUG?

Werner Koch wk at isil.d.shuttle.de
Thu Jan 7 12:40:56 CET 1999

Hartmut Wolf <Hartmut.Wolf at KirchGruppe.DE> writes:

> gpg: fatal: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
>
> Is this a BUG or a fuse to keep people from using it if they don't
> have a proper random device? It does not go away if I include

Yes, it is a feature: If you get this message you should not use this
program for real work!!! The enctryption is in this case VERY WEAK!!!

If you want to test it anyway, I suggest that you comment it out.
BUT PLEASE REMEMBER THAT in THIS CASE YOU HAVE NO REAL ENCRYTION
and I should think of a way to tell the receiver that this message
has no real encryption.

Even more worse: Using this FAKED RNG may LEAK OUT YOUR SECRET KEY
- THIS IS NO JOKE!

> "load-extension rndunix" in the options file as suggested in the
> INSTALL.

Hmmm, this should work.