Manual Contact

Matthew M. Copeland dyelar at rdl.ml.org
Thu Jan 28 18:21:32 CET 1999

> I'm a pretty good idiot user... :-)
>
> Sign me up for "review manual and ask stupid questions that lead to more
> complete explanations".

That sounds great.

> I don't really care which format, but it might make sense to have several
> formats derived from a common source, with somebody to volunteer for each
> format to "clean up" after each re-publication.  I don't even know what
> that GNU thing is, by the way... but suspect it wouldn't be too useful to
> your average Windows or Mac user who wants to use gpg with their e-mail
> client...
>
> Make the docs open-source as well, with CVS.  Even better, for non-hackers
> who can't figure out CSV, perhaps a feature like ca.php.net "Add Note".
> Any web surfer can add a note to ask about a piece of the docs they don't
> understand, and more knowledgable surfers add notes explaining in more
> detail, or examples, or point out weird cases that need to be documented.
> The PHP documentation team regularly goes through and incorporates,
> discards, reworks, etc the manual based on the online notes.  The good
> thing is, the notes are visible in the meantime, and they are generally
> placed by users in the appropriate section of the manual, so the editing
> nightmare of keeping suggestions organized is much easier.

	Okay, I can understand using CVS.  That is kind of a must.  Open
Source is the only way it would go out also.  As for having a web-enabled
comment system might be interesting, do you have code for this?  It won't
be applicable really until we get a basic document together, but at some
point later it will be.  (Say around the time when we start asking people
outside the group for comments.)