external keystore option?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu May 11 12:42:44 CEST 2000

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Lord of the Lists wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from "Mikolaj J. Habryn" <dichro-mail-3474b0e at rcpt.to> -----

>   Are there any plans for or opinions on the possibility of separating
> out the sensitive key management operations in gnupg (along the lines
> of ssh-agent for ssh)? I had a dig through the archives (a while ago),
> and recall seeing the subject come up once, but with no definitive
> resolution.

This is scheduled for 1.1 but due to all the remaining work on 1.0 it
will take some more time to start with it.

I'd would very much appreciate help for GnuPG from volunteers who can
sign an copyright assignment for the FSF.  Without that legal paper I
have to review all the pacthes and look at the idea only :-(

>   My reason for asking is not purely academic; I recently published
> keymgr, an application designed to serve this purpose, whose only real
> claims to fame at present are a pretense to modularity and enough
> functionality to allow one to keep one's ssh keys on a Java ring.

BTW, Brian Warner did some experiments with a PalmPilot and sent me
the outline for a protocol to be used between the decryption/signing
engine on some device and gpg.  However, I have not yet found the time
to work on it and franky I can't find it right now in my mail archives :-(

Werner Koch				OpenPGP key 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH                             tel +49 211 239577-0
Birkenstr. 12                           email   wk at OpenIT.de
D-40233 Duesseldorf                     http://www.OpenIT.de