No GnuPG library for now (was: Feature Suggestion)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 19 15:14:13 CEST 2000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Gary wrote:

> be compiled as either gpg as currently does. However also options to
> compile as windows.dll unix library format etc.

No.

  * Big monolithic programs are not a very intelligent design and in
    most cases very error prone (See Netscape, Linux etc. )

  * Shared libraries might be better but in the end it is still one
    program with not so well defined interfaces.  Building programs
    based on shared libraries is causing a lot of headache - ever
    tried to build Mozilla or Evolution?

  * Unix was successul because of KISS (Keep it simple and small).
    All the small, quite well tested modules/programs/components do
    work (more or less) nicely together and we can develop and
    maintain small modules and modules which utilize other modules.
    It is far from perfect but a rock solid foundation for many
    tasks.

  * Components are probably somewhat better and a thing we can do
    nowdays.  With the right framework they can take the part all
    the small Unix tools have now.

That's my take on that.  While we are heading for components we must
do something in the meantime; and that are wrapper libraries like PGG
or GPAPA.

That's my take on this.

Werner Koch				GnuPG key:  621CC013
OpenIT GmbH                             http://www.OpenIT.de