Possible fix: make error in doc on HPUX 10.20 using vendor's make

Monin, Jeremy JMonin at rich.com
Sat Jul 27 16:18:01 CEST 2002

Greetings!

I'm building gnupg 1.0.7 on an HPUX 10.20 system, using HP's ANSI cc and
their make utility.  I got this error during make:

Making all in doc
Make: line 180: syntax error.  Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

So I took a look at doc/Makefile, and then doc/Makefile.in ; that part of
the file contains

: gpg.texi               <-- this is line 180 in both files
gpg.dvi: gpg.texi

gpgv.info: gpgv.texi
gpgv.dvi: gpgv.texi

I changed 180 so the pair of rules for gpg.* looks like gpgv.*:

180c180
< : gpg.texi
---
> gpg.info: gpg.texi

This solved the problem.  I checked the list archives to see if this had
already been addressed, and didn't see anything conclusive beyond "use gnu
make", but that's not always an option.  So I hope my fix will be useful to
someone.

Thanks!

Jeremy Monin
ISPD Network Administrator