Translations are not displayed correctly

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Feb 21 06:39:01 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:02:19PM -0500, Gordon Worley wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 11:15 AM, David Shaw wrote:
>
> >It seem OS X is sufficiently different from my systems here that I'm
> >not going to be able to help you.  You might check out the mailing
> >lists at http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/.  There is a lot of OS X
> >information there.
>
> Hi, David.
>
> We've been trying to deal with this problem for some time and can't
> seem to find a solution.  The problem is that the output of GnuPG is in
> UTF-8 and so Terminal.app needs to be set to use UTF-8 to display
> messages correctly but the translations do not come through in UTF-8
> (I'm guessing that they're usually in some encoding with the word Latin
> in it somewhere).  I find it odd that this doesn't cause problems on
> other systems, because it causes all sorts of weirdness over here.
>
> How are the translations done?  What encodings are they available in?

GnuPG doesn't do any translation / encoding work itself at all.
Rather, it uses Gettext (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/) for
everything.  Output shouldn't necessarily be in UTF-8 unless that is
what the user requests.

Hmm.  Here's a guess - does OS X have its own copy of gettext?  If so,
perhaps it isn't working properly for some reason.  GnuPG will use the
system gettext if possible, so what happens if you override that and
build GnuPG with "./configure --with-included-gettext" ?

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/