Translations are not displayed correctly

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Feb 22 18:10:02 CET 2003

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 10:58:37AM -0500, Gordon Worley wrote:

> On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 12:39 AM, David Shaw wrote:
>
> >GnuPG doesn't do any translation / encoding work itself at all.
> >Rather, it uses Gettext (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/) for
> >everything.  Output shouldn't necessarily be in UTF-8 unless that is
> >what the user requests.
> >
> >Hmm.  Here's a guess - does OS X have its own copy of gettext?  If so,
> >perhaps it isn't working properly for some reason.  GnuPG will use the
> >system gettext if possible, so what happens if you override that and
> >build GnuPG with "./configure --with-included-gettext" ?
>
> Nope, it's still not working.  What I can do is switch to ISO Latin 1,
> and then the localizations will display correctly, but then I can't
> view the UTF-8 output from decoded messages with 8-bit characters.

That's two different problems.  The translation stuff is not related
to the contents of messages.  GnuPG doesn't change message contents.

If your terminal can display UTF8, and you need to display UTF8 output
from the decoded messages, then you should be able to specify a locale
that has UTF8 output.  This isn't part of GnuPG though.  On my system,
it's part of libc (I can do things like "LANG=fr_FR.utf8").  I don't
know about OS X.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/