GNUPGHOME and mangle_dos_filenames

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Nov 19 21:36:25 CET 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:20:07 +0100, gnupg  said:

> So I always wonder, why opensource-software, which comes from and
> works on other platforms without registry settings needs to have
> them on Win32. If they are optional, it is ok, I think.

The registry is used due to huge public demand for it.  I am not sure
but it seems that software distribution in larger environments is
easier if you can use a standardized way and that seems to be the
registry under Windows.

Sure, environment variables are easier for me but I don't use Windows
except for checking GnuPG, so I can't tell what's the best way.

Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com
Free Software Foundation Europe	                 http://fsfeurope.org