gpgme test fail (more info)

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Jun 26 17:20:27 CEST 2005

At Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:34:37 -0400,
Ryan P Bobko <ryan at ostrich-emulators.com> wrote:

> I guess we have different ideas of "explicit," then. The info page says:
>
> "You can enable largefile support, if it is different from the default
> on the system the application is compiled on, by using the Autoconf
> macro `AC_SYS_LARGEFILE'.  If you do this, then you don't need to worry
> about anything else: It will just work."

Well, how is that for explicit: "For you as the user of the library,
this means that your program must be compiled in the same file size
mode as the library."

The above quoted paragraph is not about if you must enable large file
support or not.  It is about _how_ to enable it, if you must.  One
option to do this is to use the autotools.  Another option to do this
is to do it manually.

Now, you say:

> I am using autoconf, and included AC_SYS_LARGEFILE to my configure.in, but I
> also had to add _FILE_OFFSET_BITS and LARGEFILE_SOURCE to my Makefile before
> it worked.

In that case either your autoconf is broken (unlikely in this case),
or you are not using it correctly.  If you are using a config.h file,
you must include that.  Otherwise, you must make sure that your
Makefile.in correctly get the CPPFLAGS from the configure run when the
Makefile files are built.

Please verify the autoconf setup in your source.  If such a simple
test as AC_SYS_LARGEFILE does not work, there are good chances that a
lot of tests are broken for you.

Or just use automake, and forget about hacking Makefiles.

Thanks,
Marcus