gnupg shared keyfiles Win / Linux

Dominique Leuenberger dominique at leuenberger.net
Tue Feb 21 20:44:45 CET 2006

Hello,

somewhere in the web I found what I want to do should be possible, but
still, I'm failing:

I have my private and public keyrings on a memory stick (fingerprint
protected, so no worries) and would like to use my gpg keyrings in
Windows and Linux. So the partition on the stick is FAT16.

Windows has absolutely no problem with this configuration, works as expected
but in Linux, when typing 'gpg --list-keys' ( or whatever uses the keys)
I get the following output:
*** QUOTE ***
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: lock not made: link() failed: Operation not permitted
gpg: can't lock `/home/dimstar/.gnupg/pubring.gpg'
gpg: failed to rebuild keyring cache: general error
gpg: lock not made: link() failed: Operation not permitted
gpg: fatal: can't acquire lock - giving up
secmem usage: 1408/1408 bytes in 2/2 blocks of pool 1408/32768
*** END QUOTE ***

Any ideas what I can do in this case? Some special parameters on
mounting the partition?
I'm using OpenSuSE 10.0 OSS (ok, not the fastest distro, but still not
to bad) and gpg 1.4.2

Thanks for your replies to my email address (not a frequent reader of
the list)

Dominique Leuenberger