gnupg shared keyfiles Win / Linux

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Feb 22 13:19:29 CET 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:44:45 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger said:

> I have my private and public keyrings on a memory stick (fingerprint
> protected, so no worries) and would like to use my gpg keyrings in

A fingerprint reader on a memory stick to protect against access to a
lost device is useless unless you make sure to keep all fingerprints
away from the stick - which occurs to me as a very hard task. It is
all to easy to take off a fingerprint from the case and use this to
unlock the device.  I'd call this use of biometric snake-oil.  A good
passphrase is a far better protection.

> gpg: lock not made: link() failed: Operation not permitted
> gpg: can't lock `/home/dimstar/.gnupg/pubring.gpg'

You are using a FAT file system which does not know about links.  Use
another file system for the stick.  Or use gpg --lock-never.

Shalom-Salam,