[GPGME] gpgme_get_key vs. gpgme_op_keylist_start

Stephan Menzel smenzel at gmx-gmbh.de
Sat May 6 11:00:37 CEST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 4. Mai 2006 21:29 schrieb Albrecht Dreß:
> I'm not sure if many people use it with balsa.  It needs gpgsm and the
> whole chain of tools which are usually not included in the mainstream
> distos.  Therefore, the feature is still marked as experimental.

The toolchain appears to be a big problem for a great many users these days.
Right now I am a gentoo user (kmail/kontact) and only a few weeks ago those
tools found their way into testing ~x86. Before that, you couldn't use S/MIME
with kmail at all unless of course you do the installation yourself which can
be quite tricky. This is not a comfortable way for most users.
And this situation is probably not likely to change as long as gpgsm is still
marked as alpha. I think it would be good to change that to reach a wider
spectrum of beta testers.

I have done quite a lot of development integrating gpgme into our software and
up to now I didn't have any serious problems, which makes me wonder why it is
still considered way experimental.
Can anyone here tell me if there's any kind of schedule for gpgme/gpgsm to
become beta?

> It would be great, though, if somebody (maybe you ;-) could try it again;
> I'm pretty sure that the crypto stuff works fine (as it uses gpgme), but
> probably the UI needs some polish...

I'll give it a try.

Greetings...

Stephan