gpg-agent and pinentry docs and testing

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Oct 31 14:26:06 CET 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:41, bernhard at intevation.de said:
> Is there a way documented how to use pinentry in automated testing?
> Especially GUI testing?

I can't tell.  What I heard is that xnee can be used for this.

> I have heard that there are keys possible without passphrase
> Is this true for both gpg and gpgsm?

Yes.

> Is there a different way to feed the gpg-agent a passphrase
> when it calls pinentry? Maybe a pinentry for testing?

What I do to debug pinentry is using a wrapper like:

  #!/bin/sh
  printenv >/tmp/pinentry.env
  exec strace -o /tmp/pinentry.trc -e read=0 \
      /foo/bar/pinentry-foo -e -d "$@" 2>/tmp/pinentry.err

Something like this could be used to fake a pinentry.

> BTW: I found minor issues with documentation, while search for this.
> See attached patch.

Thanks.

> Is there a way with textinfo to have "info gpgsm" also open the
> same page as "info gnupg2" does now?

The distribution already installs it like this but Debian  prefers to
show the man pages instead.

Salam-Shalom,