gpg-agent and pinentry docs and testing

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 31 15:00:33 CET 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 14:00, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> At Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:41:27 +0100,
>
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Is there a way documented how to use pinentry in automated testing?
>
> Not documented.  The GPGME test suite does this, however.

Thanks for the hint.

> > I have heard that there are keys possible without passphrase
> > Is this true for both gpg and gpgsm?
>
> Yes.  In GPGME, we also use the old passphrase-fd mechanism for gpg
> (for this, we unset GPG_AGENT_INFO).
>
> However, for a function like genkey this is not sufficient.

Obviously.

> You could also use the preset passphrase mechanism of gpg-agent.

At first I did not find this, because it is not mentioned in the
part that documents gpg-agent nor in the part for pinentry.
It is in
 info gnupg2 "Helper Tools"
especially
info gnupg2 "Helper Tools" gpg-preset-passphrase

> > Is there a way with textinfo to have "info gpgsm" also open the
> > same page as "info gnupg2" does now?
>
> Should already be the case.  In doc/gnupg.texi:
>
> @direntry
> * gpg2: (gnupg).           OpenPGP encryption and signing tool.
> * gpgsm: (gnupg).          S/MIME encryption and signing tool.
> @end direntry

Ah! Right, it does this with "gpg2" and "gpgsm",
but "gnupg" on Debian gives me still the manpage
and "gpg" the gpgme info page.

Thanks,
Bernhard