gpgme: how to interpret signature.status / documentation problem

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 4 12:31:50 CEST 2008

On Fri,  4 Jul 2008 10:48, bernhard at intevation.de said:
> On Friday 04 July 2008 10:33, Werner Koch wrote:
>> On Thu,  3 Jul 2008 20:12, bernhard at intevation.de said:
>> > What I cannot find the constants defined in gpgme.
>> > The documentation seems outdate. How to I interpret the status values?
>> > (I would want a string representation as well, if possible.) :)
>>
>> They are provided by libgpg-error.  Use
>>
>>      gpg_err_code (err) == GPG_ERR_FOO
>>
>> to compare an error code and
>>
>>      printf ("%s (in module %s)\n", gpg_strerror (err), gpg_strsource
>> (err));
>>
>> to print it.  The constants are in gpg-error.h and you may use the
>> utility gpg-error to decode and print an error code on the command line:
>>
>> $ gpg-error  0x2a
>> 42 = (0, 42) = (GPG_ERR_SOURCE_UNKNOWN, GPG_ERR_TRIBUTE_TO_D_A) =
>> (Unspecified source, Tribute to D. A.)
>
> Ah, cool. So do you agree that the documentation is outdated at
> this? I saw the libgpg-error as one possibility, but I've missed the hint

No, I think the manual is pretty clear about this:

  @section Error Codes
  @cindex error codes, list of

  The library @code{libgpg-error} defines many error values.  Most of
  them are not used by @code{GPGME} directly, but might be returned by
  @acronym{GPGME} because it received them from the crypto engine.  The
  below list only includes such error codes that have a specific meaning
  in @code{GPGME}, or which are so common that you should know about
  them.

Salam-Shalom,