gnupg1 still needed?

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Fri Jul 18 15:18:11 CEST 2008

Werner Koch wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:46, kssingvo at suse.de said:
>
> > But I noticed that gpg1 could support old PGP keys, if module idea is
> > added. On the other side gpg2 it seems that gpg2 is capable to support
>
> I wonder why you ask.  It is not possible for SuSE to include any such
> support for an outdated, useless and patented cipher algorithm.

Thats our problem: we cannot support/distribute algorithms with a
patent-fee. :-)

But I think, I should have deleted my .signature, as I was speaking
out of personal interests and not for my company. Please note either
that SUSE Linux dropped the support for gpg1 since 10.3 (Oct 2007),
and is shipping gpg2 only now. Sorry for my mistake.

The reason is that people came every then and a while to me and ask me
how to use the exact algorithms, why Phil Zimmerman got accused for
their release in the Usenet. As it is still not known how to break RSA
and IDEA, people still want only to use (insist on?) algorithms the
NSA showed the only time nervousness in the past.

Hope it helps for better understanding.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel  -  Maxfeldstr. 5  -  90409 Nuernberg  -  Germany
Phone: +49-911-74053-0