Debian bug#191137: Interoperability problem with pgp 2.6.3i

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 16 14:45:54 CEST 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:52, daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net said:
Hi,

First of all PGP 2 is dead.  The only reason it is still used is to
allow decryption of old IDEA encrypted messages.  PGP2 is not an OpenPGP
application and thus compatibility with GnuPG is limited.  You can't
expect that PGP 2 groks OpenPGP messages.

GnuPG 1.2 is also very old, thus I suggest to close the bug.

>> > It might be the case that this isn't relevant; I'm investigating adding
>> > support for v4 keys to the pgp 2.6 codebase and it's a v4 key that's
>> > using an 8-bit length.  Maybe gnupg is more careful when encoding a v3 key.

I don't understand the problem.  If someone is going to add v4 support
to GPG 2, s/he need to add v4 support and that specifies different ways
of encoding a length.

The actual problem is a bit more complicated because the computation of
a fingerprint requires a certain header format and one can't simply use
the length from the header.  See g10/keyid.c:hash_public_key.

>> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/191137

I suggest to close this bug.

Salam-Shalom,