1024-3072 bit OpenPGP cards

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 17 15:03:54 CEST 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:56, marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de said:

> Can't we include a list of allowed keysizes based on card revision/manufacturer?

A manufacturer is free to change the implementation or hardware.  One
reason that ZeitControl does not like to tell us the used chip might be
to change the chip without getting into trouble with some legal
departments.

The manufacturer id is similar to the vendor assigned MAC address blocks
of ethernet cards.  It allows them to assign serial number without a
centralized authority.

Salam-Shalom,