translation error for designated revorkers in German

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Nov 15 17:29:27 CET 2010

On 11/15/2010 08:11 AM, Hauke Laging wrote:
> Hello,
>
> gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.15
>
> start cmd:> gpg --local-user 2D6AAED6 --edit-key 50595A3B
> [...]
> Dieser Schlüssel könnte durch DSA mit Schlüssel 0x6EE8B8B8 [?]  widerrufen
> worden sein
> Dieser Schlüssel könnte durch DSA mit Schlüssel 0x864E37E7 [?]  widerrufen
> worden sein
>

> start cmd:> LC_ALL=C gpg --local-user 2D6AAED6 --edit-key 50595A3B
> [...]
> This key may be revoked by DSA key 0x6EE8B8B8 [?]
> This key may be revoked by DSA key 0x864E37E7 [?]
>

> The German output would be "may have been revoked" instead of "may be
> revoked". That is quite confusing, especially for people not familiar with the
> feature of an designated revoker (like me then...).

frankly, the english is ambiguous as well.  I suspect this should say
something like "DSA Key 0xDEADBEEF is able to revoke this key" instead.

I note also that RFC 4880 appears to allow designated revokers to revoke
*any* signature made by the target key, not just its self-sigs; that's
not adequately conveyed by any of the above variants.  Maybe: "DSA key
0xDEADBEEF is able to revoke this key and any of its signatures" ?

	--dkg