Building master - feedback/notes

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Apr 17 11:39:01 CEST 2013

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 23:05, gnupg-devel at spodhuis.org said:

>  * build fails because of no rule to generate doc/DCO which is not in
>    git; I suspect it was missed in a git add but exists on a developer's
>    box?

I realized this too when I was on the train yesterday.  Pushed.

>  * building libcommon fails with unresolved symbols for libiconv_close
>    and friends; shoving -liconv into LDFLAGS at ./configure time works
>    around this

What is special with your environment?  Do you use --disable-nls?

>  * fig2dev could do with being called out as a build dependency; that in
>    turn requires a bunch of X11 framework, so I bailed, copied the .fig

Right, building from git requires the use of some maintainer tools.  Not
an urgen problem.

>    The fig.jpg rule invokes "fig2dev -L jpg" but fig2dev barfs on that,
>    because the graphics language is called "jpeg" not "jpg";
>    "fig2dev Version 3.2 Patchlevel 5d", and I suspect that it doesn't
>    matter because the .jpg just isn't used and it's a stale Makefile
>    rule.

Fixed it anyway.

> Other than the fact that I also need a "cp" which takes the "-a" option,
> which I could hack around autogen.sh for, everything else went smoothly.

I can't remember why I used -a. It is not needed here.  Both, -a and -v
are not POSIX and should thus be avoided.  I guess this is a relic from
a bashism.  Given that we need to use chmod anyway, shall I change it to
cat?

Salam-Shalom,