Supporting fixed length keypad input

Christian Aistleitner christian at quelltextlich.at
Thu Jan 10 09:46:02 CET 2013

Hello,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:03:27AM +0900, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> BTW, we need to decide wording for "keypad" or "pinpad".

:-)

> I don't
> have any preference.  I tend to use "keypad" because there are
> functions implemented with _keypad suffix, but "pinpad" would
> be better as it looks more common word.

In the X11 world, "keypad" is typically used to refer to the
right-most part of common European keyboards [1].

Hence, the use of "keypad" in the GnuPG world has always been
confusing for me, eventhough user visible messages typically use
“reader's keypad” which somewhat helps to disambiguate.

To me “pinpad” is more natural. After all it's used to enter the pin.

Best regards,
Christian

P.S.: For whatever that is worth, but when comparing
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keypad
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinpad
it also seems, we'd rather want to convey the meaning of the “pinpad”
article.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Numpad.svg

--
---- quelltextlich e.U. ---- \\ ---- Christian Aistleitner ----
                           Companies' registry: 360296y in Linz
Gruendbergstrasze 65a        Email:  christian at quelltextlich.at
4040 Linz, Austria           Phone:          +43 732 / 26 95 63
                             Fax:            +43 732 / 26 95 63
                             Homepage: http://quelltextlich.at/