How to help with GnuPG documentation?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat Sep 7 20:30:06 CEST 2013

On Sat,  7 Sep 2013 14:26, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> I was under the impression it was going to be a total rewrite rather
> than a merge.  If there are any questions in the current FAQ that are

To avoid breaking links to the existing FAQ, we should keep the anchors
which are already known.  Those answers might be moved to an old-stuff
section andd updated with a link to a more appropriate Q+A.

> not in the new one (and need to be), I'd consider that a bug and would
> appreciate being told about them.  :)

I have not checked for quite some time :-(

> What do you need from me, on my end, in order to begin replacing the old
> FAQ with the new one?

Well, I would like to change to org-mode.  pandoc has support for this
or it can be done manually while kind of merging with the list.
org-mode is really easy to read and edit.  Here is an example (indented
by 2 spaces)

  #+LINK: gnupgweb http://www.gnupg.org/
  #+LINK: roundup https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/issue

  * General Questions

  ** What is GnuPG?
     :PROPERTIES:
     :CUSTOM_ID: what-is-gnupg
     :END:

     [[gnupgweb][GnuPG]] stands for GNU Privacy Guard ...

One asterisk translates to <h1> and two of them to <h2> but that can be
changed.  The +LINK: lines defines shortcuts for URLs and the PROPERTIES
drawer is used to specify a link id (In HTML: #what-is-gnupg).  I can do
that conversion if you agree to make org-mode the new source format.

I would also very much like to have the FAQ under a dual license
CC-by-sa 3.0 unported and GPLv2+.  This allows to reuse it in Wikipedia
other manuals as well as in GPL code.

The existing FAQ has a copyright notices mentioning only the FSF.  That
is actually not correct because this was never assigned to the FSF and
for sure some answers have been taken from the mailing lists (which
however is assumed to be in the public domain).  Thus it is not easy to
track who wrote for the FAQ.  I would very much like to see a

(C) 1998-2013 The GnuPG contributors

with a list of those contributors.  I am not sure whather this is
legally possible given that this is a fuzzy description.  As of now it
reads

  Many thanks to Nils Ellmenreich for maintaining this FAQ file for
  such a long time, David D. Scribner for continuing maintenance,
  Werner Koch for the original FAQ file, and to all posters to
  gnupg-users and gnupg-devel.  They all provided most of the answers.
  Converted to org-mode and removed from the tarballs in October 2010.

We could keep that and add the copyright lines for all mentioned persons
with you listed first.

Any suggestions?

Salam-Shalom,